Keywords are the words and phrases people use when searching for information on the Internet.
It is common understanding amongst search engine optimizers that finding “niche keywords” is essential in the quest to bring in visitors to a website. There are many keyword tools that claim to discover niche keywords but in practice they create lists of keywords without any useful means or support for separating out the niche keywords for us. In this article “keywords” are keyword phrases.
Defining Niche Keywords
A niche keyword is defined as having an above threshold search volume for the targeted loction of a website with potential for top ten positioning on the search engine results page (SERP) for that locality (country).
Remarkably, there had not been even one major effort at a definition of a “niche keyword” when I researched the topic in 2009.
Although sites continue to be available from any location, most internet sites are targeted at site visitors within a country, state/county/province, or city/town. Only a minority of sites aim to provide details universally or look for sales globally. Area orientated searches form the fastest expanding sector on the internet – currently estimated at 12 %. A search that includes an area has a much better possibility of transforming on e-commerce and e-marketing internet sites: Somebody looking for ‘website design’ is looking for information on how to do design a website for themselves whereas somebody looking for ‘website design London’ is looking for a website designer to do the work for them.
When we look for niche keywords for locality based websites, we require information on the number of searches carried out for that locality and an evaluation of the competition for the nation specific search engines. The most popular search engine is Google. Examples of Google specific domains include Google. co. uk, Google. ca (Canada), Google. fr (France) and Google. jp (Japan). In addition to having the largest search data source, and being free of charge, the Google keyword planner has the advantage of offering both global and nation particular monthly search volumes. The Google keyword planner replace the Google Keyword Suggestion Tool in 2013.
Threshold Search Volume
The threshold search volume that is acceptable for an internet site is dependent on its purpose.
- A worldwide information website could select a limit search volume of a thousand searches per month before it would think about producing a web page concentrated on a keyword.
- An internet site seeking clients within an area may consider the return on investment appropriate for establishing a web page on a keyword with possible to bring in even one added client a month.
Top 10 Positioning on Search Engine Results Pages
Few searchers click web pages positioned below the top ten on SERPs. Whereas 42 % of searchers click the primary positioned web page for a search, only 0.7 % of searchers will click the 11th positioned websites and 0.07 % for the forty first placed website. Put another way, if the top websites for a keyword receives 600 visitors, the 11th web page will receive 10 visitors and there will be simply one click on the 41st. From an SEO point of view, a web page that is not placed within the leading ten positions for a keyword on the SERP will fail to bring much web traffic.
Keyword difficulty is the difficulty of achieving top page positioning on Google for that keyword.
Positioning of a webpage on Google results pages depends more on Total Page Reputation than Page Relevance.
The keyword difficulty of a keyword is best calculated by averaging the Total Page Reputations of those webpages currently occupying the top page of Google for the keyword.
From the seo viewpoint every webpage should focus around one keyword and two or three associated keywords.
From a web design perspective, we have to consider three types of web pages:.
1. Pages that are required to cover the theme of the website but are based upon keywords that are so competitive that they are unlikely to accomplish top page positioning and therefore will certainly not bring visitors to the website. For instance, a vacation accommodation advertising website could produce an exceptional page on “Italy”. If it provides useful details, it will certainly be valued by site visitors who arrive on the internet site. High positioning on the SERPs for “Italy” is unlikely, however much effort you put into it, and this page will certainly not bring visitors from the online search engine for such a difficult keyword.
2. Pages that are needed to cover the theme of the internet site and are based upon niche keywords and might bring visitors to the internet site – in practice there are unlikely to be many of these for SME websites.
3. Pages that are required to cover the theme of the website but are developed around appropriate niche keywords from a list of keywords initially generated by a keyword tool such as the Keyword Planner. The difficulty here is separating out the niche keywords from the complete list. We need to concentrate our valuable time and SEO efforts on the niche keywords where we can effectively contend.
Exactly how do we discover the niche keywords from a list of keywords initially produced by a keyword suggestion tool?
In 2004, it was estimated that Google included 200 factors in its positioning algorithm. In 2009, numerous search optimization optimizers believe Google now uses more than 300 factors. It is unlikely that each of these factors hold equal weighting.
Utilizing retro-analysis of leading ten positioned web pages for hundreds of keyword searches, the author identified the most vital, but underestimated factor in the Google algorithm that determines positioning on SERPs (HomePage PageRank).
There are many programs that assist us to find keywords including the Google keyword planner. Another source is http://www.sim64.co.uk/uk/seo-keyword-finder-find-keywords-by-category/
One of the most Important Question In Search Engine Optimization.
The most frequently asked question that I am asked by website owners is “How can I get my web pages to the top on the SERPs for my keywords?” My advice may surprise you: Take out the “How”!
You will then have the most important question web site owners and search engine optimizers must be asking:-.
“Can I get my web pages to the top on the SERPs for my keywords?”.
Using the Total Page Reputation technique, you will certainly have the ability to identify your niche keywords and concentrate your SEO efforts appropriately.
This article was originally published in EzineArticles.com: Vinker, D.A. (2009) Defining Niche Keywords & Keyword Difficulty – Development of a New Essential and Unique SEO Tool.